The Second Time Around
Vintage Wedding Décor UpCycling
♥ ♥ ♥
One may think that the art of converting what you have lying around into amazing décor for your vintage-themed wedding is something best left to the experts. Well, special wedding décor experts from all over the world have shared a few ways in which you can use up-cycling to transform your wedding into a vintage fantasy!
As revealed in our free Wedding Magazine & Bridal Guide – The Vintage Edition, Angie Saaiman, from My Pretty Vintage, in Cape Town, South Africa suggests raiding granny’s cupboard as a fun way to find lots of gems that are hidden way.
Learn how to upcycle your forgotten vintage treasures to create gorgeous wedding décor for your vintage wedding! Here are a few of their vintage up-cycling tips for your wedding decor:
1. From old bottles to vintage vases
(Above Left) Message in a Bottle| Styled by: A Vintage Wedding | (Above Right) Framed Flower Vase | Styled by: Frida & Sophia Floral Design
- Transform jam jars, glass bottles or tins into Vases - “Instead of throwing away old jam jars, glass bottles or tins – give them a clean and use them to display bunches of flowers on your big day. It is easy and cheap and they can be decorated with any ribbon, lace or string you have lying around.” – A Vintage Wedding, in Essex, UK
- Give glass bottles and tins a new lick of paint - Give any old glass bottles “a new lease on life with a coat of paint in your wedding colours and use them for the flowers on your table. Tins could also be used in the same way.” – Blank Canvas, in Cape Town, South Africa
2. Reuse and Renew
- Reuse crockery, crates, pots and plates - “Reuse vintage trophies, antique tea cups, baskets, wooden crates, mis-matched crockery, broken plates and terracotta pots” – Aleit Wedding Co-ordination, in Cape Town, SA
- Hunt around for “anything broken and unused such as a rusted wheel barrow in the back yard or an overused wooden ladder.” – Aleit Wedding Co-ordination, in Cape Town, SA
- Old wooden doors or benches - “Grandpa’s old workbench from the garage or even an old door can be used.” – Event & Design, in Cape Town, South Africa
(Above Left) “Send us a Postcard” Message Board | Styled by: Blank Canvas Event and Design | Shot by: Corli Sadie for A is my Letter Photography | (Above Right) Floral Crate Centrepiece | Styled by: Frida & Sophia Floral Design
- Whitewash wooden furniture - Go all out by “whitewashing old furniture to produce some gorgeous statement pieces.” – Events by Heidi & Kate, in New South Wales, Australia
- Wedding cake heirlooms - “Take things from your mom’s wedding cake detail.” – Aleit Wedding Co-ordination, in Cape Town, SA
- Convert Old Books into Table Décor - “Stack old books wrapped in soft lace and drape pearls and ribbon to cascade down the table.” – My Pretty Vintage, in Cape Town, South Africa
- “Vintage tablecloths can also be cut up to make beautiful linen napkins.” – Blank Canvas, in Cape Town, South Africa
3. Mix Glassware, Silverware and Flowers
(Above) Flower-filled Heirlooms & Keepsakes | Styled by: Victorian Gardens, Kansas City, US | Shot by: Lark Photography
- “Silver tea pots are a fun way of displaying flowers as your centre table pieces.” – My Pretty Vintage, in Cape Town, South Africa
- “Raid your grandmother’s closet and use crystal glassware and silver as part of the look and feel, which could be used for the ceremony or the reception.” – Aleit Wedding Co-ordination, in Cape Town, SA
- Confetti flower petals are a great way of adding a fresh twist to a vintage themed wedding.
(Above Left) Rose in Vintage Glass Vase | Styled by: Aleit Wedding Co-ordination | Shot by: Ryan Graham Photography | (Above Right) Fresh Flower Petal Confetti | Styled by: Aleit Wedding Co-ordination | Shot by: Gareth Cari Photography
“Have fun and use your resources. Follow your gut, and be true to who you are.” - Johnny Hamman, from Aleit Wedding Co-ordination, in Cape Town, SA
(Above) Vintage Glassware & Silverware on a Mantel | Styled by: Victorian Gardens | Shot by: Lark Photography
Digging about for more vintage decor inspiration?
Pick up a few key vintage ideas from these 5 Fab Vintage Wedding Décor Style Tips or gain free access to the entire digital Wedding Magazine & Bridal Guide – The Vintage Edition that’s packed with vintage wedding inspiration for you to savour!