Create a Fab Tulle & Chiffon Fabric Flower
♥ ♥ ♥
Get crafty and create the perfect little tulle and chiffon fabric flower for your ring bearer’s cushion or it can be carried through your wedding used as a pretty detail for your hair, a sash or bridesmaid accessory – let your imagination run free!
What you’ll need
- 2 x pairs of Scissors – one for fabric, one for paper
- Some Tulle Fabric
- Nylon Chiffon or your choice of non-fraying fabric
- Needle and matching thread (We used white cotton, but try to use a thread that matches the colour of your Chiffon fabric)
- About 1/2m Lace or Ribbon
- Beads, pearls (Optional to decorate your flower)
- Flower template. Your flower template can be hand-drawn using some paper and a dark marker or you can download a flower template here.
Tulle & Chiffon Fabric Flower Tutorial Tips
To prevent your scissors from becoming blunt, it is advisable to make use of two pairs of scissors – one for cutting your fabric and the other for cutting the flower template that will be drawn or printed on paper.
For a soft, pretty flower, when selecting your fabric, Chiffon and similar fabrics are ideal. You can leave the edges untreated for a slightly vintage feel, or you could opt to look for a non-fraying or synthetic fabric. Alternatively, you can ask your local fabric store for a fabric sealant in a spray form, which you can apply to the edges of the fabric just after cutting the petal shapes.
Below are the steps to follow to create your own fabric flower.
- Gather your tools and fabrics.
- Draw or print out your flower template on paper and cut out the flower.
- As Tulle is a stiff fabric, it creates height in your flower. The more layers of Tulle that you use, the more voluminous your flower will be. We used about 5-6 layers of Tulle.
- We used about 20-30 square layers of Chiffon fabric. The more squares that you use, the more petals your flower will have.
- Lay your Tulle fabric out flat on a smooth surface. Place the cut-out printed flower template on top of a pile your layers of the Tulle fabric and secure with pins to make it easier to cut. Using the cut-out printed flower template as your guide, cut out the flowers to create a pile of Tulle flowers!
- Similar to Step 2, lay your Chiffon fabric on a smooth surface. Place the cut-out printed flower template on top of a pile your layers of the Chiffon fabric and secure with pins to make it easier to cut. Using the cut-out printed flower template as your guide, cut out the flowers to create a pile of Chiffon flowers!
- Yay! Now you have a pile of Tulle and Chiffon flowers!
- Now, create a third pile by adding one layer of Tulle Fabric on top of two to three layers of Chiffon fabric, depending on the number of layers of Tulle and Chiffon you have.
- Repeat this process until you have use all of the layers of fabric and are left with a thick pile of fabric. To determine the volume or thickness of your flower, using your fingers, pinch underneath the entire flower to get an idea whether you need more or less Tulle or Chiffon.
- Using your fingers, rearrange and spread the different layers of fabric, so that it each layer or petal overlaps.
- Next, fold your flower in half. Using your needle and thread, stitch a small section in the middle of the fold to secure the flower.
- Fold the flower in half again and stitch a small section in the corner of the opening of the fold to secure the flower.
- Lastly, using your needle and thread again, secure the rear of your flower to a small ring bearer’s cushion. Take the strip of lace or ribbon and secure it by stitching it into the centre of your flower.
- To finish off, experiment with different thicknesses and types of lace, ribbon, beads, pearls and other adornments, which you can stitch onto your flower.
And voila! You have created a pretty fabric flower! Perfect for a ring bearer’s cushion or other décor and accessory projects.
We hope you enjoyed our latest pretty tutorial, and remember to drop us a line and let us know if you are looking for a specific tutorial so that we can help you out. Happy DIY-ing! For more DIY inspiration, check out our super fun 15 Wonderful Wedding Canopy & Arch Ideas and 33 Chair Swag & Wedding Chair Decoration Ideas to include in your wedding!